College news

Jenni Empowers Young Generation

Picture of Simon Barker
Jenni Empowers Young Generation
by Simon Barker - Monday, 21 March 2016, 7:43 AM

Students were given a very special workshop and motivational talk last Tuesday when they welcomed broadcast journalist, award winning entrepreneur and ambassador for Domestic Violence UK, Jenni Steele to our Bromley Campus.

Jenni gave a reading from her book ‘Letters to a Young Generation’ at our Healthy Relationships and Empower Me Workshop. After living through years of domestic violence as a teenager, Jenni discovered her true strength and found a way out of the relationship that was not only harming her physical and mental health, but holding her back from making a career. She told students about her own battle within a relationship in which she experienced physical violence and mental abuse and detailed how she made her escape. She rebuilt her life by taking advice, making firm decisions and by returning to full-time education. 

She said: “Living in a Women’s Refuge I had access to lots of good advice about how to turn my life around. I had to convince myself there was no going back; I had to think only of moving forward and living up to my true potential. Years later and here I am. I have a fabulous career, a wonderful family and living my dream.”

Audience member Angel contributed to the workshop by sharing the experience of her own personal battle with domestic violence. She said: “Today I feel like I’ve met someone who has lived through the same nightmare as me. It’s great to be in the same room with someone who fully understands what I went through and has emerged much stronger and more powerful. Jenni is an amazing woman and I am truly inspired by her.”